Lydia MASTERKOVA 1927 —
Лідія МАСТЄРКОВА • Лидия МАСТЕРКОВА
Lidia Masterkova was born in Moscow in 1927. She was among the earliest and most consistent practitioners of abstract art in the nonconformist movement and one of the leading female members during the 1960s and 1970s. She studied art in 1940s at the studio of Mikhail Perutsky, member of the NOZh group (Novoje Obschestvo Zhivopisi). In the 1950s Masterkova developed her own abstract, non-figurative style. She joined the Lianozovo group in 1960s and took part in the imfamous “Bulldozer Exhibition” of 1974. She likes working in cycles and series. One of the most important cycles of Masterkova is the Planets (1976). In 1975 the artist moved to Paris. She lives and works in Saint Loran, France.