Sergej CHEKHONIN 1878 — 1936
Сергій ЧЕХОНІН • Сергей ЧЕХОНИН
Sergey Vassilyevich Chekhonin was born in Lykoshchino, Tver province in 1973. He studied at the Art School of the Society for the Encouragement of the Arts (1896-1897) and has taken painting lessons from Ilya Repin at the Princess Maria Tenisheva’s private Art School in St.Petersburg (1897-1900). Worked at the Abramtzevo Ceramic Studio in Moscow (1904-1906). Active in St. Petersburg until 1928. Also contributed caricatures and cartoons to revolutionary journals (1905-1906). Visited Paris in 1906. Worked at the ceramics factory of Piotr Vaulin in Kikerino (near St.Petersburg), and made a number of majolica panels for buildings in St.Petersburg (1907). Received first prize for new typography design from Leman publishers (1912). Chekhonin joined the World of Art society in 1910 and regularly exhibited with the group until 1924. He was a specialist consultant on artistic crafts for the Ministry of Agriculture, and was director of a school for decorative work with on enamel at Rostov-Yaroslavsky (1913-1918). He has headed a section of the State Porcelain Factory during two periods (1918-1923 and 1925-1927), and there he has organized a temporary art and design section at the former Baron A.Stieglitz School. Chekhonin served as an artistic director of the Volkhov Factory near Novgorod (1923-1924). The artist participated in the Exposition Internationale des Arts Decoratifs in Paris (1925, gold medal). In 1928 the artist emigrated to Paris in 1928. He has worked as a designer for Nikita Baliev’s “Chauve-souris” cabaret and for the Ballets Russes Vera Nemchinova in Paris (1929), for the “Vogue” magazine, and has designed porcelain, jewelry and posters. Chekhonin died in Germany in 1936.